It’s time to get your home ready for winter as the leaves, along with the temperatures are dropping. Here is a list of a few things to check on to prepare your home for colder weather and a house full of holiday guests:
Attic: remove insulation blocking soffit vents
- Clean sliding glass door tracks, check drain holes and adjust roller. Apply silicone spray to track.
- Check weather stripping on exterior doors, adjust or replace as necessary.
- Oil garage door hinges and lubricate metal tracks.
- Check cords and plugs of all electrical appliances and lamps. Repair or replace as necessary.
- Test and reset Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets
Exterior Trim and Siding: Check for caulking shrinkage and separation of trim and siding. Re-caulk as necessary.
Fireplace: Arrange for professional cleaning and inspection. Inspect damper and check firebox.
- Clean supply-air and return-air registers.
- Arrange for inspection and maintenance of furnace prior to heating season.
- Winterize exterior pipes and faucets
- Remove and store hoses
- Check water shut-off valves, tighten if leaking
- Inspect roofing for loose shingles, inspect flashing for damage, separation and gaps
- Inspect and clean gutters
- Adjust downspouts and splash blocks
Smoke Detectors: Test, clean cover and parts.
- Check exterior window trim and re-caulk as necessary
- Check weather stripping. Adjust or replace as necessary
- Clean and lubricate tracks
Check charge on fire extinguishers and recharge as necessary.
Enjoy the change of season without worrying about your home. Happy Holidays!